Agriculture and Natural Resources offers programs to help sustain the profitability of agriculture while protecting and enhancing the environment. Best management practices for livestock and forage production are presented through educational programs and personal contact.
What We Offer:
- Forestry and Natural Resources Programs
- Pesticide Safety Training
- Soil Testing & Fertilization Recommendations
- Insect, Disease, & Weed Identification & Control Recommendations
- Forage Testing
- On-Farm Visits
- Publications and Newsletters
A list of 4-H clubs offered in Amherst County include:
- Horse Club
- Livestock Club
- Shooting Education Club
- Teen Club
- See this flyer for more information on Amherst 4-H Clubs.
4-H Commonly Used Forms
4-H Camp Information
The following are forms and information regarding to 4-H Camping.
- 2017 Camp Registration
- 2017 Camp Classes
- 2017 Packing List
- Virginia 4-H Standardized Code of Conduct For 4-H Programs/Events
- After Registration Parent Notice (PDF)
- 4-H Health History Report Form
- Camp - Medication Form (PDF)
- Special Dietary Need Form (DOCX)
- Holiday Lake 4-H Camp Rules and Policies (PDF)
- Cell Phone and Electronics Policy (PDF)
- Homesick Camper Procedures (PDF)
For more information on 4-H activities in Amherst County, contact Kevin Irvin.
For more information about 4-H in Virginia, visit the Virginia 4-H / Youth page.
Engaging with Communities
Virginia Cooperative Extension specialists in community viability work with Extension agents, campus-based faculty, organizational partners, communities, and individuals to further opportunity and build capacity in five program areas:
- Leadership & Planning
- Community Enterprise and Resiliency
- Community Food System and Enterprises
- Community Planning
- Emerging Community Issues
Examples of our work include training county elected officials, educating entrepreneurs, facilitating collaborative projects, supporting the growth of community food systems and local economies, enhancing agent skills and community capacity in facilitation and leadership, conducting problem-driven research, and creating publications and tools that address critical community needs.
Do you have a question about Community Viability?
Perhaps one of the Community Viability specialists below can help you. Contact a Community Viability specialist or direct a question to them using our Ask an Expertsystem.